Emergency contraception service
If you're concerned that your usual contraception has failed you, or if you've engaged in unprotected sex within the previous 120 hours (five days), our Emergency Contraception Service may be right for you.
Emergency contraception is not recommended if you are:
- Already pregnant
- Sexual contact with an unprotected partner occurred more than 120 hours (five days) ago
- Are allergic to any of the medication's ingredients
- Have a certain medical condition or are on a specific medicine
In such circumstances, there may be more acceptable alternatives. Our doctors can provide further information and assist you in determining the best course of action for you. It's important to remember that emergency contraception is not 100% effective. Another option for emergency contraception is a copper IUD (intrauterine device) or coil, which may be implanted up to five days following unprotected intercourse. This is often regarded as the most efficient way of contraception in an emergency. This is available from select properly educated physicians and family planning clinics. There are a variety of emergency contraceptive alternatives available for various scenarios:
- Levonorgestrel 1.5mg, is approved for use up to 72 hours after unprotected intercourse, while another.
- ellaOne (Ulipristal Acetate) 30mg, is approved for use up to five days following unprotected sex.
Certain individuals may have certain negative effects after the administration of emergency contraception. These are not universal, and some are more prevalent than others. Among the adverse consequences are the following:
- Suffering from nausea
- Irregular bleeding until your menstruation resumes
- Excruciating periods
- Abdominal discomfort
- Tenderness of the breasts
You'll get a leaflet with your medication that has further information on potential side effects, including some that are less frequent and unusual.
This service allows you to request a treatment from our doctors. You will be asked a series of questions related to the treatment, after which you will be asked to pay a fee of €20. To proceed, select the required dosage and click on "Start Consultation".
If you were not automatically redirected to the payment section, you may click this button to proceed: Proceed